Electricians install and maintain electrical services, such as lighting, electricity, and heating. They work in a wide range of buildings, including houses, offices, factories, hospitals, and power plants.
Electricians work in a wide range of buildings, in the installation and maintenance of electrical services.
Electricians install and repair cables, wiring, meters, switching devices, metal conduits (cables), electrical installations and equipment in both new buildings and old buildings.
They use technical drawings and plans that show areas of construction that need electricity. Interpret the instructions, and decide how to run the wiring and where to place the switches, plugs, lights and other devices. In smaller projects, electricians can plan their own work.
The work consists of measuring, cutting, joining and placing the wiring, using different manual and electrical tools, such as screwdrivers, saws, etc. In the restoration of old buildings, electricians must first remove the old system before installing the corresponding wiring.
The work requires an important physical activity since it also includes the removal of wood and the drilling of holes. Electricians also need to make sure to order the pertinent materials and equipment before beginning their work.
They must isolate the electrical system, and check in detail that the electrical systems have been installed correctly and all the circuits are safe to avoid electrocutions.
An electrician Toowoomba needs to have the following characteristics:
- Have manual skills, to use a wide variety of tools and equipment.
- Have the ability to read and interpret technical drawings.
- Be aware of the importance of following safety procedures with precision.
- Possess skills for problem-solving.
- Pay close attention to details.
- Keep up with the evolution of the industry.
- Be organised and work exhaustively and methodically.
- Enjoy being able to detect and resolve faults.
- Have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Work well on your own and as a team.
- Have the ability to explain their work clearly to clients so that they remain calm.
- Work in a calm and professional manner.
- Be physically fit, because work requires kneeling and lifting heavy equipment. You may also have to work on scaffolding.
Electrician’s basic tools
What are the basic or most useful tools of electricity? Some will need to be used by professionals only for greater security, but others can be found in any home. These 10 are the most used:
- Pliers. They serve to hold, bend or cut. There are several types: flat, round, cutting, universal, parrot beak, etc.
- Screwdrivers With them we will tighten and loosen screws. There are also various types depending on the part of the head: round with slot, star, flat, etc.
- Voltage detector. More commonly known as peeker that checks the voltage on the plugs.
- Wire strippers and riveters. As they say their names are used to strip wires and rivet terminals.
- Electrician’s scissors. It is used to cut thin wires or strip the wires.
- Tweezers. Very practical to hold things. If the ends are close they are universal and if they are separated they are clamps in eight.
- Rule, meter, squad, and level. To take the appropriate measures and place the electrical elements well.
- Special stapler for electricians. They are more robust and are used to hold cables in walls or wood.
- Electrician hammer.
- Scriber. With it, lines of reference are marked.